To prove the authorization, you may be asked to provide some of the following information: income documents (Paystubs, SSI, Unemployment), non-income-related documents (food stamps, other benefits,) lease, proof of loss of income (Furlough or redundancy period), supply invoices, any other document related to COVID-19 expenses or a declaration of expulsion. The money is available to help people who are unable to pay their rent for emergency COVID-19 reasons. If you use it for this purpose, you could avoid a financial crisis that will threaten your long-term housing stability. Together, we need as many of us as possible to remain financially stable when we emerge from this emergency. You can contribute to our long-term joint recovery by using this financial assistance now instead of credits that you will have to pay later (with interest). The federal CARES Act provides funding for housing assistance that is required because of the COVID 19 pandemic. This money is distributed in the form of a New Hampshire Accommodation Fund through the five NH Community Action Programs (SPAAs) to each, regardless of the level of income whose ability to pay rent, mortgage or utility corporation has been affected by a loss of income related to COVID-19 or an increase in expenses. They do not have to receive eviction or enforced execution notices to apply for these funds. You are not asked for your immigration status in the application.

Until July 15, suppliers of electricity, gas, water, telephone, cable, VOIP, Internet and deliverable fuels were prohibited from suspending or suspending service for non-payment. If you owe money for any of these residential expenses, you may be eligible for help from your community support program (see question 4) or other resources listed at the bottom of this page. You can apply for assistance with all housing-related expenses that you cannot pay between April and December 2020 because of COVID-19. Payments are made directly to the owner and other suppliers. To obtain these payments, donors and suppliers must provide information to the CAP, including their TAXE IDENTIFIANT. If they refuse to do so, it can be a defence against deportation for non-payment. If you are in this situation, talk to your case-point agent. Legal Aid and Resource Center (LARC) – 800-639-5290 (9 – 3 p.m., M-F)org/about/legal-advice-and-referral-center For tenant organization and representation of interests, Contact Granite State Organizing Project at 603-668-8250, At the state level in New Hampshire, there was an evacuation moratorium for the first months of the state of emergency, but the owner could request payment as soon as the state of emergency ends on July 1, 2020.